CLEVELAND BEARS 1940
When the remnants of the Jacksonville Red Caps, who were originally founded by train station red caps, moved to Cleveland to become the Bears in 1939, the Indians refused to share League Park and the team was forced to play in Municipal Stadium. The Bears, a respectable and above .500 crew for all of their two years drew well for a Negro American League team, but the spectators were overwhelmed by the yawning expanse of a stadium that seated over 80,000. While the 1939 squad was applauded for its hustle, the 1940 version apparently “conducted themselves like a bunch of sandlotters” and folded by mid July. Navy Round Crown, Red 3” Visor and Felt Logo.